Laziness: The Treacherous Master of an Obsequious Servant

"Well, it's time to be active", said the mind and heart, only to be overshadowed by the intention of the body, to keep lying on the corner of bed. Putting all of the "to be done"(or wished to be done) at stake, at once, my mind and heart who were at one moment before disagreeable now become convinced, and all three of them, the mind, the heart and the body coalesce in perfect unity to enjoy the journey of a momentarily heavenly pleasure, only to regret it later. This thing happens again and again (and again) in repeated cycles. In some cases, I manage to overcome the pleasure intentions of body with my mind and heart. Nevertheless, it is the body, at most of times, that vanquishes all the will, determination and feeble motivation for a pleasure of its own. It is that noxious thing (though i fall for it often) called laziness that is ingrained so deep, I think, coming out of it, would be a way too onerous.
                 I have a full knowledge on the laziness inscribed in me. For many years I have traced its behaviors, patterns and nature. I, now, know precisely, its intents and occurrences most of the times(not all the times, sometimes it violates my expertise too). I know its motives in me. I know how it acts like a good, generous and loving fellow once it meets me. It lures me into the deepest satisfaction at the moment it befriends me. It subsides all of my grievances of the world, and promote me into a deep state of "enjoy this moment with me". I, too, fall for its ploy. We play each other like there is nothing that makes sense at that moment in the world. He reminds me of how we have been friends for many years, how I needed to trust him and he assures that he will be returning in future too. With that, when it played its part on me, it bids goodbye to me and that is when reality strikes me. I happen to come out of that fictional world of laziness and begin to suspect the magnanimous behavior of my friend "laziness" in the real world. Sometimes there is a mutual feeling for it since it was a part of my life and it helped in relaxation and pleasure. Sometimes, it helped me to elope from the circumstances of my life. But, at most of the times, the feeling is not mutual. The anathema in me rises for it. I curse for its treacherous behavior and connivance. For a moment of happiness, it was pushing me to idleness. In a world where I could possibly strive for something, I was not able to go after it. I was abstained from activities I should be doing but I wasn't. So, I was pushed back in time and productivity, leaving me regretful, hostile and confused.And yet in-spite of all these, I fell like an obsequious servant to a perfidious master, only to be remorseful afterwards.
                                                                                                                It's not that I haven't tried turning tables to overcome the master. I have and I try it often(even this piece of writing was born defeating laziness after losing with it two times). But most of the times I fail miserably. I have been trying to defeat it since a quite long time when I realized it was not doing good in me.To escape from its vicious and recrudescent cycles, I tried to learn about it as many as I could. What was it? Is this thing normal? Is there a safe limit for laziness in humans? If there is, am I on the safe limit?(it doesn't feel like though) What causes it? Why am I not being able to free myself from it though my brain label it as bad? What should be done to get rid of it? All these and many other questions, and I still didn't aim for finding answers for years due to sheer laziness. But it was not long when I finally decided to search for it in the hope of knowing it better and not falling prey to it.
                                                                                                                I started form the rudimentary concept, the definition( to know if it was actually laziness or I was messing up terms). Oxford Dictionary defines the adjective lazy as "unwilling to work or be active; doing as little as possible; not involving much energy or activity; slow and relaxed.It defines the noun laziness as "the fact of being unwilling to work or be active". The most common synonym of laziness(lazy came from German, meaning "idle or languid") is indolence, which comes from Latin indolentia, which means "freedom from pain" (in-no, dolere=hurt/pain). The indolence is disposition to avoid trouble; love of ease;laziness;slothfulness;sluggishness. Laziness or indolence is disinclination to activity or exertion despite having the ability to act or to exert oneself. So, the definition of laziness was near about the same as I understood. Next was the causes of laziness. I came across many interesting things on causes of laziness through Internet, which was also a part of technological revolution which was in some ways promoting laziness. One cause of laziness as I found was the present situation of the world in which we are living, where nothing is driving us for immediate results. Back to our nomadic ancestors, who were compulsively driven to be seeking immediate results for their survival, with respect to them we are considered lazy. The activities like hunting, preparing food or searching shelter has to be done immediately. There was no delay allowed which could lead to devastating consequences, even to death. So our hunting ancestors were the active ones driven by motivation of immediate results. But, we, today, have no immediate results we need to take care of so we are indulged in our laziness than our caveman. Nevertheless, we have evolved through these active ancestors so there is element of activeness residing in our genes over the evolutionary process which can be put to use at any time if we wanted( a symbol of hope for lost activeness). In contrast to this, some argue that as a species, we tend to try and conserve energy. This is to say that, we inherited laziness from our ancestors. When the resources were meager and scarce, conservation of energy was important. Thus being lazy chose to solve the problem. So the argument for laziness goes that it took place when some kind of uncertainty inflicted in life. It's instinctual way of taking a moment for introspection so energy can be saved. Thus laziness often has a legitimate reason and purpose according to study. No matter what the varying opinions of experts, all experts agree to a common belief that understanding and knowing laziness can eventually make our life easy, fruitful and productive by managing, overcoming, escaping and even recovering from it.
                                                         The most common reason for laziness is the programming of our subconscious mind to classify the work or job at hand useless, boring, time wasting even if the person knowing the importance and need to perform the job. The programming precedes over various reasons. Distraction, Procrastination, Low Energy, lack of motivation, no specific goal, indecisiveness, lack of self worth, too much work, apathy, negligent perspective, sense of hopelessness, pessimism, cynicism, hostility, etc are some of the reasons. Addiction to pleasure and leisure, having dependent life, depression, anxiety, fear of risks and failures, fear of expectations, fear of responsibility and accountability, increased urbanization are some other causes of laziness. The learned behavior that laziness is normal among people also promotes laziness. Similarly, working on something boring or working on something that we already excelled in can cause laziness. The environment around us with the air quality, pollution, density of people, the laziness of peers among our circles, lack of innovation, routine and mundane lifestyle, advancement of technology are other causes of laziness. Lack of emotional support and biological reasons of lack of proper nutrition, water, sleep, stress and diseases to our body are also the prevailing factors of Laziness.
                                                         We can realize how pernicious the laziness is. At first we feel as if we are having a deserved rest, then gradually the tolerance to it in us increases and we start enjoying it, falling for it fully until it becomes a part of who we are. And this leads to many problems in our life. The effects of laziness are numerous. Laziness results in idleness; it kills abilities and reduces productivity. We can never fully achieve anything due to it. The abilities, efficiencies and also even, health is affected. According to WHO, 3.2 million deaths each year are attributed to insufficient physical activity. A lazy person always in some way lagging behind the active one. Laziness leaves us confused, disturbed and a sense of regret, remorse and dissatisfaction starts to take over the time. So, efforts should be made to control laziness in us. Laziness should not control our lives. Though laziness is a part of human experience and it should be appreciated to some degrees, but laziness to the point of controlling us, inflicting problems and hampering the human notions of a meaningful life is beyond the safe limit for laziness, and hence sincere effort should be made to rise above such consequences.
                 Laziness can be eliminated, and through our own efforts. No matter how long we have been lazy, anytime is a best time to overcome it. First of all, figuring what is holding us back and cutting it out is a good way to start. The real issue should be contemplated and every effort to rise above it must be made with utmost sincerity. The environmental structure around us can also help to overcome laziness. Getting organized from a mental and physical space around us, creating time tables, rewarding for every task completed, sense of appreciation of oneself, and finding out the purpose, passion, things we love and working on it is the best way to eliminate it. Good nutrition, water and a optimistic attitude are also vital. Above all, realizing your potential and the capacity to bring change around a meaningful space of your own world you have perceived and to work towards that meaning honestly can forbid any laziness in you and most of the problems of life. If all of that fails to work, professional help might also be needed. If every sequences of solution above fails, a way is to convince oneself in being happy with idleness or laziness and therefore romanticizing "It is sweet to do nothing", as said by somebody. Also one can idealize Oscar Wilde's "To do nothing at all is the most difficult and the most intellectual", saying and take dignity in laying idle. Man can take a deep satisfaction in his mind of his laziness and there is no reason to worry about anything else, as it is said, "It all begins and ends in your mind. What you give power to, has power", let the power be the laziness. Self complacency in the laziness is the last thing you wanted to do if nothing works out.
                                                                                      Knowing all sorts of details of a phenomenon, I think I might be able to overcome the Laziness someday. I would or would not be completely, able to free myself from it but my efforts aim at tackling it daily, improving my resistance over the period to a "safe limit" laziness or below self limit where I would not be in control of this thing. I would prioritize my actions to be against laziness and not tarnish my productivity and potential due to it. Sometimes I may fall prey to it but never, ever I would take self complacency in my abnormal laziness. That would be one thing I would never wanted to do, no matter what.





Author Tim
Comments and suggestions from the readers are most welcome.
                                                         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roles of different languages in a multilingual individual

How I fell in love with Novels

The fear of not doing